Get Involved: Green Churches
Here's What You Can Do: Get Involved! Make the Difference!
As people of faith, it is important to know how the impacts of building and maintenance practices can be damaging to God’s creation. Now that you have learned about making a Green Church, do just one small thing to get involved and make a change for the better. It can be as simple as changing out the churches light bulbs or buying green cleaners for your food kitchen.
Links and Resources
- Guidelines for Talking with Pastor's and Boards about Energy Stewardship: Click here if you want to make your House of Worship more energy efficient, but are not sure how to get started or convince others to get on board?
- Building a Firm Foundation: A creation friendly building toolkit
- Download a selection of green church training and building manuals from Web of Creation
- Growing a Green Church: Evaluate how well you're stewarding resources and get helpful tips. Available for $10.00
- Carbon Footprint Quiz! Use this quiz in your Sunday school class or with your youth group to help members of your congregation see how their everyday activities impact God's Creation and discover how to limit their contributions to climate change.
- United Methodist Church Mandates for Going Green
- Green Church Series -
With these books, you can introduce your congregation to a six-week, church-wide study on the care of Creation. Launch it as a sign of resurrection hope for the Creation, or in honor of Earth Day, or as an engaging and interesting summer study. Use it to build bridges to younger generations, and to the community at large Click here to learn more.
- How Many Light Bulbs Does it Take to Change A Christian: A Pocket Guide to Shrinking Your Ecological Footprint by Jan Nunley, Claire Foster, and David Shreeve
- Go Green $ave Green: A Simple guide to saving time, money and GOD'S green earth: By Nancy Sleeth
- Faith & the Common Good: Financing Options for Greening Your Sacred Space
- Faith & the Common Good: Practical Guide to Improving the Energy Efficiency of your Religious Building
- Download our Worship Resources Liturgy - this is a Word Document contains Prayer and Liturgies that you can print and take with you. We also have a PDF of our Sermon Starters!
- For hymns that are appropiate for priasing God's Creation review out Hymns Page!
For More Information Contact:
Eco-Justice Program Office; National Council of Churches
110 Maryland Ave., NE
Washington, DC 20002